Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Experience with Google Wave

On Thursday November 10 I received my invite from Google to beta test their new collaboration tool called Google Wave. My first experience was one of excitement and jubilation , to be part of this beta testing group.I signed in and got started "waving" Oops I had no one to wave with.

So I started to explore and test out the many features that this new service boasts about . Before I got the invite , in preparation of receiving it. I did ton of research on Google Wave. which involved watching the hour and half video to get an idea on what it is supposed to do along with searching thru Google Alerts. a Google search tool that involves using selected words to get the best hits whether it is from the Web,or in the form of documents, news articles or blogs.

  • I am learning something new everyday regarding Google Wave . I have several waves that I alone use with out any participants. so they will be considered private in nature.
  • I am brainstorming on ideas on how to compile sections of my paper in individual waves and edit it to my satisfaction before I include in my final draft. I know I am taking a big chance in using this to compile and edit my paper.
And this will then explain why I am going on this risky journey through Google Wave..since it is the subject of my paper.
It changed from using wireless technology exclusively for a technology upgrade to testing out the new platform and/or protocol Google Wave to be implemented into a non profit organization called NAMI (National Alliance of Mental Illness). using the current technology

I have subscribed to many waves and adding more as I browse the public waves . Most of the waves I frequent or subscribe to focus on the technical side of Google Wave along with learning shortcuts which will help me to become more productive.

Thing I love about Google Wave
  • Live Typing , concurrent editing,
  • Ability to collaborate and share documents (have not tried that function fully due to the lack of contacts )
  • Color coded user-created Search filters (has enabled me to streamline and save my important searches )
  • Color coded user-created folder system
  • Wave categorization similar to Outlook(Windows) or Mail (Macintosh)
Thing I dislike about Google Wave
  • sluggishness and freezing (due tot the pre-beta status of this tool )
  • Slow loading in browser( Safari for Mac )and in a wave client for the Mac( Waveboard)
  • No options for switching off concurrent editing without wave author approval
  • No consistency in the online status of the wave contacts that have been added to the contact list by a participant
  • Limited invite only status , (starting to open the floodgates to pass out more invites) :)
This is a partial list that I thought of on the fly and I am sure that I will experience more issues as time goes on . I am sure that Google Wave Developers are hard at work on those bug issues and hopefully by the release date which will probably happen early next year . most of these issues will be resolved.

My overall opinion is it is a great idea that has the potential to become the most innovative tool that involves email, collaboration and IM in a mashup geared toward businesses that capitalizes on those forms of communication.

I will be reporting on any future experiences that may differ from the ones I listed above


If any one reads this I have 7 Google Wave invites to give out I cannot seem to give them away now,
Last month they were like gold now they are like a lump of coal. And yes it is a work in progress but Google would need feedback in order to make their product work better , so give a spin

You can contact me at kftrainer@gmail.com or contact me on twitter @fitnewbie

Until next time

Kirk

No comments:

Contributors

Followers

Twitter Updates